Welcome to the GIMP Developer wiki!
What is GIMP?
GIMP is the GNU Image Manipulation Program. It is freely distributed software for such tasks as photo retouching, image composition and image authoring. It works on many operating systems, in many languages.
What is this Wiki for?
On this wiki you'll find resources on GIMP development and hacking, and some frequently asked question like how to report bugs. This wiki will also include tutorials about writing extensions for GIMP, and will include useful information on further extending GIMP. Sometimes, developers may use it for design drafts and such things as well.
Whose is it?
This wiki is currently maintained by some GIMP developers, so if you have any comments feel free to contact LightningIsMyName or Alexia_Death via the the GIMP IRC (irc://irc.gimp.org#gimp)
How do I get a user account?
Contact LightningIsMyName at the GIMP IRC (irc://irc.gimp.org#gimp) or by email (LightningIsMyName at gmail dot com). He is available on IRC usually several hours each day :) Only if not possible, try to contact Alexia_Death on the GIMP IRC.
Hot topics and/or very relevant topics at this time
- Hacking:Dev_Meeting_28_Mar_2011 - The next developer meeting!
- GIMP Roadmap - what features are planned in future
- Hacking:GSoC - Information for potential students
- Hacking:GSoC/2011/Ideas - Ideas for GSoC 2011
- Hacking:GSoC/Future/Ideas - Ideas for future GSoC-s
- Hacking:GSOC/Archive - GIMP and GSoC in the past (projects, ideas, history)
Show me some content!
Here is a partial list of pages in the wiki (this will be here until the wiki is more organized):
- Users:Beginner Developer's FAQ
- Roadmap - what features are planned in the future
- Hacking:Netbeans - Using the Netbeans IDE for working on GIMP
- Hacking:Patches - Submitting patches to GIMP
- Hacking:Source Tree - Finding your way inside GIMP's source tree
- Hacking:pdbgen - How to use the pdbgen tool, for adding new PDB procedures to GIMP
- Hacking:Building - This page explains common things you should know before compiling GIMP
- Hacking:Building/Linux - This page explains how to compile GIMP on linux
- Users:Tips - A collection of useful tips about using GIMP. Some are included in the official tips, and some should be considered for inclusion.
- Mindstorm:Misc TODO's - Ideas that were raised in the IRC/mailing list for things that can/should be done/improved in gimp
- Hacking:GSOC - Past/Current projects of gimp in GSOC, and ideas for some more projects in the future
- Hacking:GSOC_Archive - GIMP and GSoC in the past (projects, ideas, history)
- Hacking:GSoC_2011/Ideas - Ideas for GSoC 2011
- Hacking:Code Snippets - Root page for various GIMP related code snippets
Developer meeting logs, agendas, etc. Meetings are usually arranged by LightningIsMyName, and they take place once in every two weeks, on Monday at 10:00 PM, Central Europe Timezone (usually, CET = GMT+1). A mail should be sent to the mailing list before each meeting to discuss the agenda, and after every meeting with a link to the meeting page.
- Hacking:Dev_Meeting_28_Feb_2011 - First developer meeting!
- Hacking:Dev_Meeting_14_Mar_2011 - Done!
- Hacking:Dev_Meeting_28_Mar_2011 - Agenda is up!
Currently existing namespaces are
- Hacking for hacking related pages,
- Users for user guides and the like,
- Specs for attempts at writing specs,
- Mindstorm for idea generation and planing.
Lets try to stick to these. What you have in your user space is your own business :)