Difference between revisions of "Main Page"
(Add link to release history)
|Line 75:||Line 75:|
==== Upcoming Releases ====
==== Upcoming Releases ====
* [[Release:GIMP 2.8.
* [[Release:GIMP 2.8.]]
Revision as of 04:02, 8 August 2014
Welcome to the GIMP Developer wiki!
What is GIMP?
GIMP is the GNU Image Manipulation Program. It is freely distributed software for such tasks as photo retouching, image composition and image authoring. It works on many operating systems, in many languages.
What is this Wiki for?
On this wiki you'll find resources on GIMP development and hacking, and some frequently asked question like how to report bugs. This wiki will also include tutorials about writing extensions for GIMP, and will include useful information on further extending GIMP. Sometimes, developers may use it for design drafts and such things as well.
Whose is it?
This wiki is currently maintained by some GIMP developers, so if you have any comments, feel free to contact LightningIsMyName or Alexia_Death via the the GIMP IRC (irc://irc.gimp.org/#gimp)
How do I get a user account?
Contact LightningIsMyName at the GIMP IRC (irc://irc.gimp.org/#gimp) or by email (LightningIsMyName at gmail dot com). He is available on IRC usually several hours each day :) Only if not possible, try to contact Alexia_Death, mitch, nomis, prokoudine, schumaml or scl on the GIMP IRC.
Currently existing namespaces are
- Hacking for hacking related pages,
- Mindstorm for idea generation.
- Release for release related pages,
- Specs for attempts at writing specs, planning and
- Users for user guides and the like.
Lets try to stick to these. What you have in your user space is your own business :)
Information here is dedicated to all GIMP wiki readers.
- Roadmap — what features are planned in the future
- Documentation:Main – Coordination of the user manual and documentation efforts
- Users:Tips - A collection of useful tips about using GIMP. Some are included in the official tips, and some should be considered for inclusion.
- Specifications Feature specifications by the interaction architect Peter Sikking.
- GIMP UI Redesign
- GIMP UI Brainstorm
- GIMP UI Blog by Peter Sikking
- Screenshots of the development version
Hot topics and/or very relevant topics at this time
Currently our main priority is porting as much of GIMP to GEGL as possible. Finalizing the switch is the prerequisite for starting the work on major new features such as non-destructive editing or layer effects.
- Libre Graphics Meeting, Leipzig, Germany, 2014
- Hacking:Plugin registry - The future of the Plug-In Registry.
- GEGL Porting Matrix — the progress of moving to a new image processing core
- GEGL and GIO porting matrix for file handlers - the progress of moving the file loaders/exporters to the GEGL and GIO libraries
- Hacking:Merging lisanet.de fork — Let's merge external patches of this release for OSX into GIMP.
- Hacking:TODO - To do list
- Mindstorm:Rethinking_the_wiki - Rethinking the wiki
- Specs:UI Theme - the progress, drafts and discussion about another GIMP UI theme
Google Summer of Code
We often participate in Google Summer of Code program. It's a great source of new dedicated contributors.
- Hacking:GSoC - Information for potential students
- Hacking:GSoC/2014/Ideas - Ideas for GSoC 2014
- Hacking:GSoC/Future/Ideas - Ideas for future GSoC-s
- Hacking:GSOC/Archive - GIMP and GSoC in the past (projects, ideas, history)
Information here is public and especially meant to assist build maintainers and testers.
Information here is public and especially meant to assist developers.
- Developer FAQ
- Glossary - Terms related to GIMP development
- Hacking:API documentation
- Hacking:Problems and solutions
- Hacking:Tools - Development tools and how to use them
- Hacking:Patches - Submitting patches to GIMP
- Hacking:Source Tree - Finding your way inside GIMP's source tree
- Hacking:Building - This page explains common things you should know before compiling GIMP
- Hacking:Plugins - How to write a GIMP plug-in
- Hacking:Code Snippets - Root page for various GIMP related code snippets
- Hacking:WarpTool/UI design info - Information for the UI design of the Warp tool
- Hacking:Developer Meetings - Developer meeting logs, agendas, etc.